FOUNDER: BOB MIDDLESWARTH
Ira Middleswarth & Son, Inc. was founded back in 1942 by Bob Middleswarth. He started making potato chips with a single kettle, in a two-room building off to the side of his family's home in Beavertown, PA. At that time, Bob and his mother Lottie along with two other employees produced about fifteen pounds of chips an hour. The product caught on and more and more people came to recognize the special great taste and quality of Middleswarth Potato Chips. Bob's father, Ira, later joined the business and by 1959 the company expanded and moved to a new location on Orange Street in Beavertown. The business then became incorporated as Ira Middleswarth & Son and employed 20 workers who manufactured about 350 pounds of potato chips an hour.
Middleswarth has four tractor trailers which deliver to eight distributors located in Sunbury, Lewistown, Altoona, Harrisburg, Larksville, Reading, Centre Hall, and Nazareth, who serve Central Pennsylvania dealers. We also have two smaller trucks called step vans on the road. Our product is not distributed out of state. There may, however, be some instances where a distributor will go a few miles over the state line. A few years ago we had a gentleman distributing out of Baltimore, MD., but that only lasted about two years or so because he had so far to come to get the product. There is also a company who ships our products to restaurants and stores around the country as far west as Arizona.